The Board will consider the following areas during the selection process:
- Academics: Students will be required to submit a transcript from each high school they have attended, beginning with 9th grade through 11th grade, as well as a transcript from any junior or four-year college where they have taken course(s), if applicable, through the end of their 11th grade year, unless grades from such course(s) are included on a high school transcript.
- Tests: Performance on tests designed to measure ability and aptitude for educational work. The SAT is required, but students who have taken the ACT, SAT Subject Tests, and/or Advanced Placement Tests may submit those scores if they so choose. Students may submit photostatic copies of their test scores with their application. The Board will also accept test scores appearing on a student’s high school transcript.
- Recommendations: One evaluation from a counselor and one evaluation from a teacher who has taught the student in 9th, 10th, 11th and/or 12th grade are required.
- Leadership: Evidence of leadership in and service to the school and the larger community
- Activities: Extracurricular activities and special talents, including athletics, the arts, speech, student government and employment
- Character: Strength of character, including concern for others, commitment to a cause greater than oneself and/or overcoming major hardship
- Educational Institution(s): Extent to which the educational institution(s) to which the student has submitted or intends to submit his or her application and the student’s contemplated course of study advance the Mary John Goree Las Animas County Scholarship’s purpose of encouraging academic excellence