Students who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply for the Mary John Goree Las Animas County Scholarship:
- High school senior (unless a renewing student – if so, please see Scholarship Renewal)
- Bona fide, legal and actual resident of Las Animas County Colorado*
- Citizen or permanent resident of the United States
- Plan to enroll full-time in a fully accredited four-year college in the United States (other than Princeton University). [Junior colleges and trade schools are not eligible for consideration.]
- Have an unweighted cumulative grade point average for the first three years of high school of a 3.00 or higher on a 4.0 scale or its equivalent; AND
- Have received a qualifying combined evidence-based reading and writing and mathematics score on the SAT or composite score on the ACT for the student’s unweighted cumulative GPA for the first three years of high school as indicated on this Eligibility Table.
- Solely for the fall 2020 application cycle, students who are scheduled to take the SAT on December 5, 2020, may establish eligibility to apply for a scholarship using their PSAT score from fall 2019. See our Eligibility Table With PSAT. In that case, students should submit their application to the Foundation by the December 1st deadline and the student or their counselor should submit their PSAT score by December 3rd. If the student is deemed eligible to apply for a scholarship, the student must submit their December SAT score as soon as it is available, but no later than December 23, 2020, for their application to be considered. In the event a student is deemed to be eligible to have their application considered on the basis of their PSAT score and the student receives a score on the December 5, 2020 SAT that would not meet our eligibility criteria, the student will not lose their eligibility and the Foundation will consider their application.
All qualified students are encouraged to apply, regardless of gender, creed, ethnic origin, race or sexual orientation. No preference is given based on a student’s choice of college or university, high school, or financial need. Members of the families, as defined in Internal Revenue Code Section 4946, of Foundation directors are not eligible.
*Please note that this residency requirement is strictly construed and enforced. To avoid disappointment and to facilitate planning for financing your education, we invite prospective applicants (including underclass students) and their families to contact us by emailing David Vandermeulen at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have about your residency status.