The scholarship application for the Class of 2019 is now closed. Finalists will be notified of their status by Monday, November 19, 2018, and interviews will be conducted Sunday, December 9, 2018.
Before submitting an application:
- Confirm your eligibility to be considered for a scholarship;
- Review What’s New for 2018-2019 for important information related to the application process;
- Check out our FAQs for commonly-asked questions; and
- Review the list of notes below to streamline your application submission
Notes and Information for Applying for a Scholarship
- Photostatic Copies of Standardized Test Scores: Students may submit photostatic copies of their standardized test scores with their application. The Board will also accept test scores appearing on a student’s high school transcript.
- Submitting Supporting Documents:
- There are two ways in which supporting documents can be delivered to us: (a) uploaded by the student with his/her application or (b) emailed by the teacher/counselor to Scholarship America at firstname.lastname@example.org. Supporting documents cannot be sent by US mail by students, counselors or teachers.
- Each high school may adopt whatever practice works best for them to submit supporting documents — giving the document(s) to each individual student to upload with his/her application or submitting the forms en masse by counselors or teachers — as long as supporting documents are either uploaded or emailed by the October 15 deadline.
- If a teacher prefers that an evaluation be kept confidential, the teacher should email it to Scholarship America at the address above. If a teacher is not concerned about confidentiality, the teacher can return the completed evaluation to the student for the student to upload with his/her application.
- Transcripts do not have to be submitted with counselor evaluation forms. The student may upload the transcript or the counselor may email it to the above address.
- Teacher Evaluation: The required teacher evaluation must come from a teacher who has taught the student in 9th, 10th, 11th and/or 12th grade. Evaluations from a teacher who taught the student in elementary or junior high/middle school will not be accepted unless the teacher has also taught the student in high school.
- Grades from Senior Year: We do not require and will not consider grades from courses taken during the senior year in high school. A complete transcript(s) showing grades earned in all courses from the beginning of 9th grade through the end of 11th grade is sufficient for our purposes.
- SAT: Because the SAT is now the standardized test taken by all Colorado high school juniors, we require it for all applicants. If students so choose, they may also submit ACT scores, SAT Subject Test scores and Advanced Placement test scores.
- College Selection: Applicants will be requested to list on their applications up to eight colleges or universities to which they have or intend to apply. In listing the colleges or universities, applicants are not committing themselves to attending one of those institutions. However, if an applicant is selected as a finalist, the applicant will be required to bring an updated list of up to eight (8) colleges or universities to the interview. In the event the applicant is awarded a Las Animas Goree Scholarship, the applicant will be able to use the scholarship only at one of the eight (8) institutions on the updated list submitted at the time of the interview or Colorado State University at Fort Collins, the Colorado School of Mines or the University of Colorado Boulder. In other words, finalists do not have to include any of these three (3) flagship institutions of the Colorado public university system on the list that they bring to their interview. Please note that in the case of Colorado State University and the University of Colorado, only the Fort Collins and Boulder campuses are exempt from the requirement that they be on the finalist’s list. Finalists who would like to be able to use their Las Animas Goree at other campuses of the Colorado State University and the University of Colorado such as Colorado Springs, Denver and Pueblo have to include such colleges on their list in order to be able to use their Las Animas Goree at those institutions.
Questions about the Application? Contact us:
- Email: email@example.com
- Call Toll Free: 1-855-758-8608 and ask for the Mary John Goree Las Animas County Scholarship Program