Applications: Interested and eligible applicants will submit an application through our online process and upload or have a teacher and/or counselor upload required supporting documents and recommendations in the fall of the applicant’s senior year. The application includes questions and requests statements that will permit the Board of the Foundation to assess each applicant’s qualifications according to the selection criteria. See What’s New for 2021-2022 for important information.
Review and Selection: The Board will review the applications and conduct in-person interviews of the finalists. For the 2021-2022 selection process, it is possible that finalist interviews may be conducted by Zoom rather than in-person. The determination of whether finalist interviews will be conducted in-person or remotely will be made at the time that finalists are asked to interview. The recipient(s) will be announced following the interviews.
Scholarship Agreement: The scholarship recipient will be required to sign a written agreement setting forth the terms and conditions of the scholarship, including: (i) the specific purpose of the scholarship; (ii) its amount and duration; (iii) conditions and procedures for renewal; (iv) the institution to which it will be paid; (v) requirements for reports, if any, including the due dates for such reports; and (vi) any other expectations of the recipient during the scholarship period.
Payment of Scholarship: Upon deciding which college he or she will attend, the scholarship recipient will notify the Foundation of his or her college choice, and the Foundation will make arrangements to forward a check for payment of the scholarship award to the scholarship recipient’s institution.
Renewal: Scholarship recipients must submit transcripts at the end of each quarter/semester for renewal of the scholarship.
Important Dates to Apply in Fall 2021 for Fall 2022 Award
- Public Zoom Meeting on Las Animas Goree and Princeton Goree Scholarships: September 26, 2021, 7:00 p.m., by Zoom. The Presentations for this year’s Zoom are available on our Resources page.
- Registration for Public Zoom Meeting Opens: September 16, 2021
- Application Opens: Friday, October 15, 2021
- Deadline for Submission of Applications: Wednesday, December 1, 2021, 3:00 p.m. Central
- Deadline for Submission of Recommendations and Supporting Documents: Friday, December 3, 2021, 3:00 p.m. Central
- Applicants are Notified of Board’s Decisions on Finalists: Monday, February 14, 2022
- Finalist Interviews: Sunday, March 6, 2022. Note: A decision will be made at the time the Finalists are announced as to whether interviews will be conducted in-person or by Zoom.
- Finalists Informed of Board’s Decisions on Recipients and Alternates: Monday, March 14, 2022
- Deadline for Recipients to respond to the Foundation’s offer of a scholarship and, if accepting a scholarship, to inform the Foundation of their college choice and to submit required financial information if they are seeking a needs-based award in addition to their minimum award. Tuesday, May 3, 2022
The Board of Directors of the Mary John Goree Las Animas County Scholarship Foundation has contracted with Scholarship America for assistance in administration of the application process. The Board is responsible for establishing the scholarship process and the selection criteria, reviewing scholarship applications, interviewing applicants and making all scholarship award decisions. Scholarship America oversees the administrative details of the application process including maintaining the e-application, communicating with applicants regarding the completeness of the application, forwarding the applications to the Board and maintaining the records of the scholarship process. Appropriate security features have been put into place to maintain the confidentiality of information submitted during the application process.